SAP HANA® “Class L” solution delivers BIG performance, scale and TCO savings. Here’s how.
We always listen to what our enterprise customers need from their SAP HANA® solutions. What we hear is that your databases and businesses are constantly evolving and growing in size and complexity. So, what you often need to keep up with your growth trend is more room to grow, high performance at scale, and improved cost efficiencies, across the board.
Well, here’s good news on all three fronts: SAP has officially categorized HPE Superdome Flex 280 as a Class L solution for SAP HANA. It’s now the only 8P server – with up to 12 TB shared memory and results on 20.8 billion records – to receive this categorization. (Please see SAP® Standard Application Benchmarks Certification #2020158.)
That means HPE Superdome Flex 280 is the only platform that enables you to:
- Expand all the way to 12 TB of shared memory and 8 sockets in an SAP-certified Class L system. You can start small with just 768 GB of memory and 2 sockets – and grow from there.
- Scale up – instead of scaling out – to get the performance, management simplicity, and small footprint of a single system. Listen to our podcastWhy scale-up your SAP HANA deployment? that discusses the benefits of scale-up vs. scale-out solutions.
- Achieve ultra-low total cost of ownership with savings in management, space, power and software, by replacing a scale-out solution with a single, scale-up system.
Now, let’s talk about how this classification and benchmark result translates to business value, and how HPE Superdome Flex 280 delivers the three benefits listed above.
Proven performance at scale
The SAP sizing classifications (Class S, Class M and Class L) provide official guidance on the hardware you need to meet your business requirements.
HPE Superdome Flex 280 received its Class L designation based on a recent test using the SAP® Business Warehouse, edition for SAP HANA standard application benchmark. A system with 12 TB of shared memory delivered more than 5,000 query executions per hour (Qs/H) and 20.8 billion records.
Previously, if you wanted to deploy an SAP BW landscape with sizing up to 12 TB, the most commercially viable choice using all DRAM was limited to scale-out systems, such as a 4- processor scale-out node. This would require a total of 4 nodes with 3 TB of memory each, or perhaps two 8 processor scale-out nodes, each with 6 TB of memory. Now, with the HPE Superdome Flex 280, you can scale up to 12 TB on a single, 8-socket system. There is no need to buy additional servers to build a complex scale-out cluster, as you would have to do with other vendors.
But HPE Superdome Flex 280 doesn’t merely cope at that scale. Featuring the latest 3rd Gen Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8380HL processors, it provides industry-leading performance including:
- The best core/memory ratio, delivering more than 5,000 Qs/H
- 2X more processing power than any other x86 offering, with SAP certification up to 8 processors on a scale-up system built with the latest 3rd Gen Intel® Xeon® architecture
With HPE Superdome Flex 280 you can also avoid overprovisioning by scaling in 2-socket increments, instead of 4. A new HPE performance brief details the full benchmark results.
Read more here: